Trusteer claims to have wiped banking malware from 1.6 million users' PCs.

With a population of around 28 million users that have downloaded the free in-browser software from their banks' servers, this equates to approaching a 5% `infection' rate although, Infosecurity notes, this analysis is skewed by the fact that that users may be downloading Rapport after realising their machine may have been infected.

It's also worth noting that some malware operates at a relatively low level, generating pharma spam in the background during computer idle time.

According to Mickey Boodaei, Trusteer's CEO, Rapport's removal efficiency is now approaching a near-100% success rate.

Boodaei is also at pains to stress that the 1.6 million disinfected machines do not include very low severity malware such as adware and notes that 72% of machines cleaned were infected by SpyEye and Zeus.

"What's interesting is that for each user infected with SpyEye, four users were infected with Zeus. The harsh trust is that, since the Zeus crime kit became free of charge, its distribution almost doubled", he said.

"That said, SpyEye continues to gain market share and has become the second most distributed financial malware with a significant advantage over the rest of the malware crime kits", he added.

94% of the Zeus and SpyEye infections, he went on to say, were removed in less than 10 seconds from the time the infection reached the victim's computer. The remaining 6% were removed within 2 hours.

It's not all rose-tinted spectacles at Trusteer HQ, however, as Boodaei warns that malware can evolve and, if the fraudsters find vulnerabilities in a security solution, they can instruct infected computers to strike and cause enormous damage.

Keeping your customer base clean of malware, he says, will limit new attacks to purely new infections which, by orders of magnitude, are significantly lower than the potentially infected population.

It, also, he adds, prevents fraudsters from collecting sensitive information that may sit outside your customer's browser - such as email communication and files with financial data and personal information.
Boodaei goes on to say that not everyone is having such a good time as, elsewhere in the industry, financial malware detection and removal remains extremely low.

According to SpyEye Tracker, he notes, the average SpyEye binary Antivirus detection is 26.77%

According to Zeus Tracker, meanwhile, the average Zeus binary Antivirus detection rate is 39.18%

These low detection rates, says the Trusteer CEO, emphasise the huge gap in the market when it comes to severe malware toolkits.

"This is also the main reason that more than 150 financial institutions around the world are using our technology to protect their customers", he says.



What’s hot on Infosecurity Magazine?