Computer Scientist at the GS 7/9 level at the FBI involves a variety of common problems, questions, or situations involving investigative, operational, and intelligence missions and requirements that are dealt with in accordance with established criteria. Work affects the overall operation or support of FBI mission and implementation of FBI policies.
Computer Scientist at the GS 11/12 level in the FBI work is to leverage advanced specialized computer science knowledge and skills for the identification, investigation and analysis of a variety of unusual conditions and problems, and implementations of rigorous analytical solutions in furtherance of FBI mission.
- Performs computer system and network procurement, installation, administration and security, and assists other on more complex matters
- Troubleshoots, and modifies existing cyber tools and methods to identify, preserve, and analyze digital evidence
- Develops and implements basic custom tools.
- Provides technical and other professional assistance in conducting interviews, searches and other investigative activity
- Remains current with major new advances cyber and technology topics and provide guidance on such matters
- Coordinates with the private sector and other divisions to resolve technical and other relevant issues
- Provides courtroom testimony